Matheson Memorial Library hosts three book clubs per month. The Page Turners meet on the 1st Wednesday of the month at 6:30pm, the Afternoon Book Club meets on the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 2:00pm, and the Short Story Book Club meets the 4th Tuesday of the month at 7:00pm. You can check out a copy of the book club selection 3-4 weeks prior to the book club meeting. Meetings for the Page Turners and the Afternoon Book Club are held at the library. The Short Story Book Club meets at Mama T’s Restaurant, 781 E. Geneva Street in Elkhorn. All our book clubs are facilitated by staff librarians.
Page Turners Book Club (1st Wednesday at 6:30pm)
- Jan. 5: The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave
- Feb. 2: Lightning Strike by William Kent Krueger
- Mar. 2: The Guest List by Lucy Foley
- Apr. 6: A Slow Fire Burning by Paula Hawkins
- May 4: The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles
- Jun. 2: Apples Never Fall by Liane Moriarty
- Jul. 6: A Flicker in the Dark by Stacy Willingham
- Aug. 3: Count the Ways by Joyce Maynard
- Sept. 7: The Maid by Nita Prose
- Oct. 5: The Resting Place by Camilla Sten
Afternoon Book Club (3rd Tuesday at 2:00pm)
- Jan. 18: The Guilt Trip by Sandie Jones
- Feb. 15: Shoulder Season by Christina Clancy
- Mar. 15: Three Sisters by Heather Morris
- Apr. 19: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- May 17: We are Not Like Them by Christine Pride & Joe Piazza
- Jun. 21: Come Fly the World by Julia Cooke
- Jul. 19: Black Cake by Charmaine Wilkerson
- Aug. 16: The Tobacco Wives by Adele Meyers
- Sep. 20: French Braid by Anne Tyler
- Oct. 18: The Wife Between Us by Greer Hendricks & Sarah Pekkanen
- Nov. 15: The Magnificent Lives of Marjorie Post by Allison Pataki
- Dec. 20: Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt
Short Story Book Club (4th Tuesday at 7:00pm)
- Jan. 25: The Quantum of Solace by Ian Fleming
- Feb. 22: To Build a Fire by Jack London
- Mar. 22: With the Beatles by Haruki Murakami
- Apr. 26: A Rose for Emily by William Faulkner
- May 24: Troll Bridge by Terry Pratchett
- Jun. 28: Open House on Haunted Hill by John Wiswell
- Jul. 26: Kwoon by Charles Johnson
- Aug. 23: Long Live the Girl Detective by Megan Pillow
2022 Adult Summer Reading Program
Read Beyond the Beaten Path
This year’s theme not only celebrates the way that reading sends you on a journey, but also the beauty and wonder of our own native landscape. For adults and high schoolers, we’ll have printed reading logs for you to keep track of your books, and we’ll offer grand prize entries for each one you read.
We’ll also be bringing in a wildlife-spotting scavenger hunt each week in which you’ll find a different animal located in one of our local businesses!
A Memory Café is a place where persons with MCI (Mild Cognitive Impairment), early-stage Alzheimer’s, or related dementias can join with their care partners to socialize and have fun with other people going through similar things. This provides everyone with a great time connecting with each other and creating new friendships rather than focusing on the diagnosis.
The Lakeshores Memory Cafés are held every 2nd Wednesday of the month in the Matheson Memorial Library Community Center from 1:30pm to 3:00pm. To register, please contact the ADRC of Walworth County by phone: (262) 741-3273, or email: walcoADRC@co.walworth.wi.us
BOOK A LIBRARIAN
The library has a free service to help with any technology related issues you might have. Things we cover include help with downloading eBooks, setting up an email account, downloading and using apps, and basic troubleshooting. Read all about it HERE!
WALWORTH COUNTY GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY (WCGS)
Located in the Mary Bray Room (2nd
floor). Walworth County Genealogical Society began in 1988 and has been serving researchers since that time. Our members staff the room every Tuesday from 10:00 am until 3:00 pm, from 3:30 pm to 7:00 pm each third Tuesday of the month, and on the 3rd
Saturday of each month from 10:00 am until 2:00 pm, and by appointment.. We welcome the opportunity to help visitors research their ancestors free of charge. The public is invited to browse through our collection of genealogical resources from all over the world. See the WCGS site
for more information. Access Heritage Quest via our Digital Resources page on our website and Ancestry.com on our library internet stations. For more information please call the WCGS directly at (262) 723-9150.
Our society holds meetings the first Tuesday of each month at the Community Center in Delavan, WI starting at 6:30 pm where we present speakers on a variety of genealogical subjects.
MML DUNGEONS & DRAGONS GROUP
Several times each month, the library’s Dungeons & Dragons group meets up to find treasure, defeat monsters, use their imaginations, and have a great time. This open group is welcome to everybody, and if you don’t know how to play, we’ll teach you! We usually have 2 to 3 ongoing adventure sessions going on, which you’re welcome to join. Check our online calendar HERE for upcoming sessions, then grab your sword and your spellbook and adventure with us!
Contact Director Chad Robinson for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org